Bedford, 30 April – 1 May 2016.
Lisa James of Staffordshire University took gold in the British Universities Championships in Bedford on Sunday with a dominant display capped with her 5th round jump of 12.82m. Qualifying with 12.83m the previous day – a full 83 cm ahead of her nearest rival – Lisa was quick to prevent a repeat of last year’s Championships, when she finished 3rd despite leading the qualifiers, as this year she opened with 12.77m. Despite cooling conditions and some technical dissatifactions, Lisa still produced 6 jumps all over 12.45m that hinted at 13+ metres form once her season gets into full swing.
Lisa’s first round effort may have shaken her nearest rivals’ hopes in taking the title, but if anything it seemed to inspire 2nd placed Montana Jackson of Imperial College. Montana reached out to 12.23m in round 1, for a new outdoor PB, 12.40m in round 2, before saving her best jump of the day until the final round with 12.50m – just 5 cm below her lifetime best set in the BUCS Indoor Championships this winter where she also claimed silver. BUCS Indoor Champion Lia Stephenson of Southampton Solent University had Montana in her sights as she improved during the competition to 12.34m in the 4th round, but Lia couldn’t repeat the 12.66m form of her indoor season and took away bronze this time.
In 4th place, Nottingham University’s Beth Mortiboy was close to her PB of 11.55m all afternoon, producing 4 marks over 11.40m. Her best effort coming in round 5 with a wind-aided 11.53m. Chanel Hemmings of Kent University moved from 8th to 5th with her final round effort of 11.31m, pipping Cardiff Metropolitan’s Sian Swanson’s 2nd round 11.29m by 2cm, who in turn was just a single centimetre ahead Loughborough’s Victoria Mould.
1. Lisa James (Staffordshire) 12.82w (+2.3m/s)
2. Montana Jackson (Imperial College) 12.50m (+0.6m/s)
3. Lia Stephenson (Southampton Solent) 12.34m (+0.9m/s)
4. Beth Mortiboy (Nottingham) 11.53w (+2.5m/s)
5. Chanel Hemmings (Kent) 11.31w (+2.9m/s)
6. Sian Swanson (Cardiff Metropolitan) 11.29m (+0.4m/s)
7. Victoria Mould (Loughborough) 11.28m (+1.2m/s)
8. Rachel Dinsdale (St Andrews) 11.24m (+0.4m/s)
9. Ellen Robertson (Robert Gordon) 11.19m (+1.2m/s)
10. Emily Maltby (Bedfordshire) 11.06m (-0.6m/s)
11. Robyn Zammit (Brunel) 11.00m (+0.9m/s)
12. Rebecca Cope (Sheffield) 10.96m (+1.4m/s)